Monday, August 10, 2015

The supine view

I'm lying in bed again. As I imagined, the 400mg dose is much stronger. I'm in bed by 9-10 pm and generally sleep until 9 am and then I am averaging 2-3 naps a day. It's sobering to think I've been napping most of the year. 

January -- surgery and bed rest

February -- recovery from surgery

March -- recovery from surgery 

April -- chemo and radiation 160mg

May -- break/recovery from radiation 

June -- chemo 300mg 

July -- chemo 300mg 

August -- chemo 400mg 

I'll have a minimum of three more months of chemo and then they will reevaluate. 

This higher dose has also brought with it morning nausea and just an off and on queasiness. 

As dreary as I sound I know it's not that bad. For at least half of every day I feel normal and I can rally when I need to.  I have pushed myself to make the most of the summer and I'm grateful, oh so grateful, that I have done that. 

I find myself falling into a few routine traps that I am learning to recognize. 

1. I regularly long for my "normal" life. I miss the ability to go for a run or shop all day or take my kids on adventures. 

Instead I need to recognize how awesome my life is right now. I'm still going on amazing adventures and exploring the world and enjoying my family. 

2. I worry too much and too often about the what ifs of the future. I need to remember that God is in control. Sick or not, medicine or not I have no control over tomorrow. My self reliant persona struggles to remember that it is all perfectly planned and full of beauty. 

3.  I allow the fatigue to deflate my joy.

I need to remember that my joy is not dependent on any of this but rests  in the knowledge that I am loved and  chosen by Jesus. 

When I was listening to music the other day in the car this song by Laura Story came on. It is one that I know well but I needed to hear it again. 


"Blessings"

We pray for blessings, we pray for peace
Comfort for family, protection while we sleep

We pray for healing, for prosperity
We pray for Your mighty hand to ease our suffering
And all the while, You hear each spoken need
Yet love us way too much to give us lesser things

'Cause what if your blessings come through rain drops
What if Your healing comes through tears
What if a thousand sleepless nights are what it takes to know You're near
What if trials of this life
 are Your mercies in disguise

We pray for wisdom, Your voice to hear
We cry in anger when we cannot feel You near
We doubt your goodness, we doubt your love
As if every promise from Your word is not enough
And all the while, You hear each desperate plea
And long that we'd have faith to believe

'Cause what if your blessings come through rain drops
What if Your healing comes through tears
What if a thousand sleepless nights are what it takes to know You're near
What if trials of this life are Your mercies in disguise

When friends betray us
When darkness seems to win
We know that pain reminds this heart
That this is not,
This is not our home
It's not our home

'Cause what if your blessings come through rain drops
What if Your healing comes through tears
What if a thousand sleepless nights are what it takes to know You're near

What if my greatest disappointments or the aching of this life
Is the revealing of a greater thirst this world can't satisfy
What if trials of this life
The rain, the storms, the hardest nights
Are your mercies in disguise



No comments:

Post a Comment