Thursday, December 24, 2015

Glimpses of normal and not so normal.

I've been wearing my hair in a ponytail since January. Luckily enough, post surgery and through treatments my long hair could be maneuvered in such a way that I could cover the bald right side of my head. My own personal combover.

I had one  hair appointment before radiation at a salon. It was great, but also complimentary. (Commonly known as a cancer perk). The stylists normal price was $150 for a cut, $200 for color. So, needless to say I didn't go back!

My head has healed a lot from the surgical scar and there are awkward but beautiful bits of hair growing back in. I saw a great deal on a groupon for cut and color so I decided to take a chance.

Amazingly, the gentleman just had a brain tumor patient last week! He was kind, careful and attentive. He had to cut a lot of hair off because it was split and super dry from treatment. He cut it so that I can keep it down or put it up. He gave me some wild hairspray that's doesn't wear off all day. I was so happy when he was finished. 


I drove home looking again and again in the mirror, surprised to see my hair again. The haircut day was a special day, but most other days are plain and ordinary. 

On a different more ordinary day I was sitting at the dining room table and I got a side glance at my head in the mirror and I was quiet for a moment. I could see the scars and the still bald sections and it caused me to pause and even wince.

  

do want to remember both the good and the bad and let it shape me and mold me into a person who seeks out God's strength in all times, because life is not only made up of Facebook photos and cheery days, but it's hard and sometimes  it's easier to hide. I also want to remember this journey to look back upon later to remind myself what I have been through. 

In a devotion I read last week, the author spoke about messy piles and how she hides her junk when people are coming over, the author said "there is comfort in hiding the messy sides of our life, it gives us a few seconds of pretending that life is ordered and perfect. Her poignant words-- there is comfort in hiding, but not peace." So today I celebrate letting my hair down, in more ways than one!








2 comments:

  1. You are beautiful! This post made me tear up but also put a smile on my face. Your perspective on life and things always helps me keep mine. Miss you and love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are beautiful! This post made me tear up but also put a smile on my face. Your perspective on life and things always helps me keep mine. Miss you and love you!

    ReplyDelete